Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Humanitarian Award
The Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Humanitarian Award was created in 1999 and is presented annually at the Phoenixville Area Social Concerns Committee Community Prayer Breakfast.
Award Criteria: The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Humanitarian Award will be presented to an individual, business (small/large), or community group/ organization who has demonstrated dedication and service in the areas of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. The nominee must have acted consistently in the below areas, within the Phoenixville Area, and embody the message of justice for all and commitment to service the community.
- Raised awareness of social injustice, speak on behalf of justice/injustice, celebrate diversity, and acts on building a better community.
- Developed an innovative and creative solution to a problem that has been viewed as a societal issue and had the courage to act and persevere in the face of its challenging circumstances in the community and/or service industry.
- Established, supported and/or invested in programs and the well-being of an inclusive future for the Phoenixville Area community. (We want nominations of individuals, businesses and/or organizations that confront the issues faced by children/community through positive/effective programs/activities and advocacy.)
- Provided a service and/or advocated for the marginalized. (We are in search of individuals/businesses and/or organizations that provide services and/or advocacy for human rights.)
- Demonstrates an emerging or have sustained a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts in the community and/or their organization. (We are looking for nominations that have a history and/or action plan that provides diversity, equity and inclusiveness. Also, any that can demonstrate how their efforts resulted in deep-rooted benefits to their company and/or the Phoenixville Area.)
- Has lived, worked or existed in the greater Phoenixville Area for at least five years. (We want nominations that have been invested and/or committed to the Phoenixville Area.)
Consideration for the award will include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following areas:
- A positive impact of the nominee’s actions on the Phoenixville Area and its residents.
- The influence upon community residents, organizations, businesses, or borough services and/or activities.
- The potential for further community impact because of the nominee’s current actions and/or commitment to change.
- Current members of the Phoenixville Area Social Concerns Committee are not eligible for this award.
Nominations for the Martin Luther King, Jr. Humanitarian Award will be accepted through 31 January 2020.
Past Humanitarian Award Recipients
2000 Moira Mumma
2001 Paul Jones*
2002 Emmett Gruici
2003 Peg Kelly Macdonald
2004 Richard Kunsch, Sr.
2005 David M. Frees, Jr.
2006 John Macdonald*
2007 Janet Jepsen*
2008 Bishop William Washington, Jr.
2009 John Keenan
2010 Lorna Stewart, MD
2011 Kenneth Wickstrom*
2012 Donald Meyer, PhD
2013 Donald J. L. Coppedge
2014 Cheryl & Barry* Messere
2015 Rev. Buddy Goodwin & Mrs. Belinda Goodwin
2016 Tammy Klotzbach
2017 Dolores Winston
2018 Gary Russell
2019 Reverend John J. Newns