Phoenixville Youth Initiative
The Phoenixville Youth Initiative was inaugurated as a pilot program in Spring 2014 by the Phoenixville Area Social Concerns Committee and the Chester County Opportunities Industrialization Center.
Stay tuned for the reboot of this program in 2019.
PYI is a cooperative venture connecting
- Chester County OIC
- Phoenixville Area High School students ages 14-19, especially low-income, at risk youth
- area businesses & organizations, both for-profit and not-for-profit
- area service clubs and funding sources
The Mission of PYI is to reduce risky behaviors of youth and young adults in the Phoenixville area by fostering a collaboration among residents, local businesses, non-profit organizations and the school district.
The Goals of PYI are to
- introduce and prepare youth for the world of Work, including exposure to skills & attitudes necessary to succeed
- provide youth the opportunity to gain valuable work experience
- reduce youth unemployment during summer months
- provide supplemental income to families
PYI offers students accepted into the program
- up to 8 weeks of meaningful summer employment in their home community
- Federal Minimum Wage pay
- a Day of Service
- job & life skill counseling throughout the year
- worksite & college visitation
- peer networking
PYI is open to all Phoenixville Area School District students aged 14-19.
2014 PYI WORKSITES: Testimonials
Scargill McClurken Insurance Agency
Provides world class protection for Auto, Home, Health, Business, and Life Insurance.
“We got a wonderful young lady, who was very outgoing and couldn’t do enough for us!!! Perfect fit! Loved the program! The people who run the program, were great to deal with too!”
Philadelphia Freedom Valley YMCA-Phoenixville Branch
Offers a wide range of programs for children, teens, and adults including swim lessons, sports, personal training, child care, day camps.
“Great program! Very much needed. I enjoyed the experience”
Phoenix Village Art Center
A creative haven offering personalized support and instruction to all ages and abilities, with the belief that community life is affected positively through visual arts.
“Wonderful experience, enjoyed watching the young lady’s growth throughout the program”
Phoenixville Area Positive Alternatives (PAPA)
Serves children and youth from surrounding neighborhoods, providing quality programs through academic enrichment, social development, and athletic programming.
“Awesome program. We’ll be hiring again next year”
Students: To learn more about PYI contact Javonna Wylie at email@example.com.
Employers: To learn more about PYI view this link — http://www.ccoic.org/phoenixville-youth-initiative/